Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Love Lotion #1

I love the tension-relief body lotion I made recently, but what I really wanted was something more lotiony and less buttery. The Thieves lotion I made at a craft night in December had a wonderful texture, but the scent wasn't my favorite. Since my little jar is almost gone and I found a little bottle of ylang ylang essential oil on clearance, I thought it was time to experiment with some more refreshing and less wintery scents. I reduced the butter content from my original recipe to get a softer result. Like the original recipe, it goes on a bit oilier than commercial lotions, but that oil gets absorbed into your skin and leaves it silky.

I'm not sure how to describe the scent of this lotion. It is both citrus and floral, light and sensual. I think it's perfect for Valentine's Day, especially if you're like me and not so fond of the rose and patchouli scents of most "sensual" blends. Scent preference is subjective, so you might get a different impression of this combination than I do. I started with orange and ylang ylang, but felt it needed something additional so I added a few drops of lavender for a subtle floral undertone.



Love Lotion #1

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup pure shea butter
1/3 cup almond oil (or apricot or jojoba oil)
1 tsp Vitamin E oil
15 drops orange oil
10 drops ylang ylang oil
3 drops lavender oil

This the same basic process as the Tension-Relief Body Lotion, so check out that recipe for photographic instructions.

Measure the coconut oil and shea butter in the top of a double boiler. Boil the water in the lower half until the coconut oil and shea butter are melted. Remove from heat, stir, and let cool for about 10 minutes. Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, or until partially solidified.

Stir in almond oil, Vitamin E oil, and essential oils. Whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer, scraping the sides often, until a smooth, lotion-like consistency is achieved.

Scoop the lotion into a clean glass jar and store in a cool place.

This batch made about 9oz of lotion.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Courtney! I made your lotion recipe! It is a lovely aroma. I would like something that is a bit less greasy feeling for daytime use. Do you have any suggestions? I did not have vit E on hand... perhaps that made the difference? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney! I made your lotion recipe! It is a lovely aroma. I would like something that is a bit less greasy feeling for daytime use. Do you have any suggestions? I did not have vit E on hand... perhaps that made the difference? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete