Monday, January 14, 2013

Butternut French Toast

I made my daughter's baby foods, so I had some leftover purees in the freezer to use up. Purees can be a good way to sneak more vegetables into your meals. I add them to soups, pasta sauces, and even desserts. This time, I'm sneaking them into a breakfast-for-dinner. My kids loved it... Turbokid devoured three slices of toast before I had time to sit down!

The omelet is a half-recipe of the Vital Ital Green Banana Omelet from Vegan World Fusion Cuisine. I substituted basil, cherry tomatoes, and Swiss chard for the cilantro, carrots, and green onions. I also learned I am terrible at flipping omelets.

Butternut French Toast and Vital Ital Green Banana Omelet (from Vegan World Fusion Cuisine)


Butternut French Toast

1/2 cup pureed, cooked butternut squash (4oz)
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp coconut oil
6-8 slices whole grain bread (I used an ancient grain bread from a local bakery)

In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together the squash puree, non-dairy milk, sugar, flour, and cinnamon.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Dip a slice of bread in the squash mixture, coating both sides, and then place in the skillet. Cook each side until crispy and golden. Remove from heat and cover with a clean dish towel to keep warm while cooking remaining slices. Serve with applesauce or maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment