Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Onion Soup

Turbokid and I are both sick, so I brought out my favorite sick day recipe. I made this soup on a regular basis when I had hyperemesis gravidarum because it was one of the two things I could keep down at all (the other was Gatorade ice chips). It is gentle on the stomach, and good even when not sick. This is my simple comfort food and a vegan alternative to the omnivore's trusty chicken noodle soup.

Onion soup with Daiya grilled cheese.
Onion Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
3 onions, sliced thin
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
4 cups water
3 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp dried thyme

Heat oil in a large sauce pan. Saute onions and garlic in the oil until translucent. Add flour and nutritional yeast and stir until the onions are evenly coated. Add water, tamari, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, until broth is slightly thickened.

Garnish with vegan cheese, scallions, and/or fresh herbs.

I usually make this soup with plain yellow onions, but it is especially good with sweet onions like Vidalias or Mauis.

No comments:

Post a Comment